

This is Tiffany on the right and Garrett beside her pushing and sometimes hanging and being pulled.

Promises
D&C 2: 2
And he shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to the fathers, and the hearts of the children shall turn to their fathers.
I think this may mean that the “fathers”, the early members of the church, some of whom were my ancestors, promised to sacrifice that I might enjoy the freedom of religion and the freedom to build temples here in the West. I think my/our promise to them is that since they made that possible for me/us that we will in turn remember them and previous ancestors and see that their temple work is done.
I experienced this “turning of hearts to the fathers” in several different ways as we trekked at Martin’s Cove. First I thought of the pioneers who sacrificed so much to bring their families to Zion, I thought of my own ancestors one of whom was Anson Call who lead a rescue party. As I shared his story to my group I found that one of the brothers in our ward was a descendent of Anson’s also, so I found a cousin.
In sharing our experience with the rest of the ward I knew that they wouldn’t understand the whole import and significance of our trek. Words just couldn’t express it. You can try to recreate with words the wind, the dust, the camaraderie of the group, the poignancy and triumph of the “woman’s pull”, the stark, rugged, exquisite beauty of viewing the Sweetwater River with the rocks behind as we had our testimony meeting, but they can’t feel it and smell it as they sit in the air-conditioned chapel. What they understand compared to what we experienced is minute. Likewise, although we experienced a mini trek, I am sure that we have but little comprehension of all that those pioneers suffered. As one quote said, “neither word nor pen can describe the sorrow and suffering.”
The question I have to ask myself is “My ancestors fulfilled their promise to me, how am I doing at fulfilling my promise to them?”
I have been thinking of my ancestors as well, and therefore been trying to fulfill my promises to them.
ReplyDeleteYour post made me feel the spirit of the place that we are going this summer...thank you.
I love your spiritual thoughts. It sounds amazing.
ReplyDelete