Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tai Chi, A "New" Door


I decided to widen my horizons and attend a Tai Chi class. I have learned that Tai Chi is a meditative discipline of balance, grace and control. It requires the mind, body and spirit. It is an internal "martial art".
I had looked at some videos just to get an idea of what I was in for and it looked pretty simple to me. I went to the class and there are mostly ladies older than I there. I did learn that there is much more to it than meets the eye, as with most things. It is an art and very much a discipline. I decided to stick with my Pilates and swimming for now.
Take a look at a some very nice Tai Chi.
http://sclipo.com/video/tai-chi-24-estilo-yang



I am quite enamored with the character doors here.I am going to make a study of them. We all need to be opening "new doors" and trying new things. Get out of our comfort zone. I have found that here in Merida you can't judge a house by its door. There are some exquisite homes behind some very old looking doors. We often jump to conclusions with others also, just judging them by their exterior. When we do get to know them better we find that we were wrong on many counts. "Live life with arms wide open", that is my mantra for this year.Open to new experiences, people and thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. I've always wanted to try something like that. They have a bunch of old people doing Tai Chi in the parks early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do Tai Chi in China early in the morning with the older people, and sometimes in the afternoon with the working people. I stuck out sorely amid the thousands of Chinese who have been studying it forever. I wish I could have understood the language of the dance. I just followed the movements.

    In America (at least my part of America) people don't get up at 6:00 a.m. and congregate in the parks to practice dance, or swords, or fly kites or whatever. I miss the sociality of it.

    In my opinion, Pilates and Swimming are better exercizes. I just loved the Tai Chi to be doing something with a group.

    I am interested in seeing more of your door pictures. I loved your analogy of not judging what is in a house by the door. I must remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the door. loved the analogy. I also liked to think of you there in the streets dancing like no one was looking and like you could never get tired.

    I just finished mending 8 very fluffy yellow ballroom gowns, tea length. I believe they are for the foxtrot dance. Big concert this weekend. Keep your arms open wide, something very large might fall into them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to let you know that you are living the life I dream about.
    Thanks to you and your blog, I have been thinking for the past two how cold my toilet seat is. I would have never even noticed it if you hadn't of mentioned your warm turquoise version.
    Thanks a lot, Aunt Liza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Merida so much and my family too, I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying everything over there!

    ReplyDelete