I took myself to the movies today. I honestly don’t remember when I went to a movie by myself....let’s see, yes it was on my eighth birthday and there was a free one in the Afton theatre. I slipped in while I was waiting for Mom to do some shopping. But back to Merida movies, el cine is out at the Gran Plaza mall and so to get to the theatre I had to go past one of my favorite shoe stores, Flexi. This is the Mexican counterpart to Aerosole. Now I am not going to share how many pair of shoes I brought with me but can a girl have too many pair of shoes? I found the cutest pair of flats that will make a lovely pair of shoes to wear with a skirt and dress up a bit for evening yet are easy walkers as that is my general mode of transportation. Naturally, I didn’t buy them that very moment, I like to take my time and mull things over making sure this is a sound decision.
Here’s my rational.
1.They are so cute (reason enough) and as afore mentioned, easy walkers.
2.They matched my Mexico purple toenails. It should go without saying that if they match my toenails, they will match everything in my wardrobe. Purple is a neutral color in my book.
3. I feel that I should give back to this wonderful city by putting some small bit back into the economy. Lorin thinks I shouldn’t try to support the economy single handedly so sometimes I invite my friends to come and help me.
4.The dollar is very strong against the peso $1.00/13.75. That translates to getting about a 30% discount over what it usually is.
I put it on my credit card that we get Frequent Flyer miles for. I just used a bunch of miles to get down here, how am I supposed to come again if I don’t build up my miles? Well, Duh!
5.I took the bus to the mall for a total cost of 10 pesos ($.70) instead if taking a taxi for 160 pesos thus saving about $10 to put into the shoe fund. If I ride the bus out again tomorrow I will have saved $20 for the shoe fund...oh....but I don’t need to come out tomorrow. Okay, scratch that last bit.
I went to the movie, had a bite to eat and sure enough the pros won hands down and it was a done deal, a no brainer.

I am thinking with this kind of logic they should hire me to sell timeshares to the gringos as they get off the plane in Cancun.
But wait, that’s not all! I still had to catch a bus back to the apartment. Let’s just say that I didn’t get off (or the driver wouldn’t let me off) where I wanted and I ended up at the end of the line in El Centro where they kicked everybody off. It was raining and there were large, warm puddles (unlike those in Wyoming with ice on them). That’s okay I am a good walker and remember I have some good walking shoes ( I’m just kidding, I didn’t put them on). Now the street and the sidewalk where I was walking are on the narrow side and it was impossible to walk anywhere that the cars wouldn’t splash on me. By the time I got home I had a strange resemblance to a drowned rat but with some very cute shoes!
Oh Dahling! Of course you should get the shoes! They are adorable and agree with all of your reasons for buying them. I've had to bolt home in some crazy rain in Merida myself--what an adventure when the side walk is right next to the road.
ReplyDeleteThe shoes are daaaaaarling. and yes, you were right to buy them. they are perrrfect, especially with your toes!!!!
ReplyDeleteso sorry about the premature shower. but it was warm rain, no?
I think that you actually made money with those shoes. Uncle Loren is so lucky to have you.
ReplyDeleteOh, yes, whenever you come to Utah (or whenever I come to Mexico), I would give anything for a sewing lesson. I would be eternally in your debt. You are a master teacher.
oh yes! So CUTE! can i borrow them?!
ReplyDeleteand look at that! we do have the same background! like mother like daughter!but i can't get the inside part to change.:(
ReplyDelete