Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Help The Help by Kathryn Stockett


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
It is a rare book that I give 5 stars to but this one gets all five! I listened to the book and when I saw that it was 18 hours long I had reservations that it could keep my attention, but it did. I felt like these women were in my kitchen sharing their stories with me. And because I was hearing it, it had the added dimension of the southern drawl, which I now speak with. Liza Jane is my name after all.
If we are honest with ourselves we will recognize that we all have some prejudice of some sort. Admitting it is the first step in the right direction. I didn't grow up exposed to blacks but I did grow up in the 60's. I was able to see through these women's eyes and vicariously experience some of what went on in the south. Abilene had a wonderful voice and wisdom, not just for the 60's but for now as well.
I loved all the colloquial expressions of the women. A most worthwhile read. I expect there will be a movie too but it won't beat the book.

View all my reviews >>

2 comments: